April marks the start of blueberry season in North America. This nutrient-dense fruit is packed with antioxidants and is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese, and fiber, among other things. With brain-boosting, anti-aging, and cancer-fighting properties, blueberries live up to their hype as one of the healthiest fruits around.
There are a lot of easy ways to incorporate more blueberries into your diet. You can add some to your cereal, top off your yogurt with them, or throw a few handfuls into your smoothies.
And who could forget blueberry muffins? Sweetened with banana and honey, and topped with an oatmeal crumble, these Greek yogurt mini muffins are a perfect healthy snack. If you don’t have a mini muffin tin, you can also use a regular muffin tin, and it’ll make 12 large muffins.
Mini Blueberry Banana Greek Yogurt Muffins with an Oatmeal Crumble Topping
For the muffins
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 medium ripe bananas, broken into chunks
5.3 ounces vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup blueberries
For the topping
1/4 cup dry rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a mini muffin tin with 24 mini muffin cups, or if not using muffin cups, spray tin with nonstick spray.
- Combine all muffin ingredients except the blueberries into a food processor, pulsing until mostly smooth.
- Remove the blade from the processor and add in the blueberries, mixing with a spoon to evenly incorporate into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin cups. Set aside.
- To make the topping: Combine the dry oats and cinnamon in a small bowl. Melt the coconut oil and honey in a microwave or on the stove top.
- Pour the coconut oil and honey into the oats and mix together. Spoon the oatmeal crumble on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of a muffin and come out clean. Allow to slightly cool before enjoying.
Nutrition stats per mini muffin: 80 calories, 1g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 18g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 8.5g sugar, 2g protein